Our Multicultural Service is designed to assist migrants and refugees with transitioning into life on the Northern Beaches as easily as possible, particularly in their first five years of settlement in Australia.
We can assist in a number of areas, including:
- Case Management
- Apply for and access government, health, and financial services
- Language services
- Connect with education providers and assist with applications
- Assist with seeking suitable employment, employment-related education and job applications
- Learn to drive using a CNB car and with the assistance of volunteers
- Citizenship test preparation
- Tax Help
- Homework Club for children with English as their second language
- Social and community program
- Referrals to specialist services as needed: Legal, Immigration, Health etc
- Material aid
- Free computer usage
My Settlement Journey, Stepping into a New World
My Settlement Journey is a collection of personal settlement stories on the Northern Beaches. Storytellers from Tibet, Germany, Japan, Czech Republic, Sicily, and South America met with volunteer writers from the local community to share their stories about how they overcame the challenges of settling into a new country. Read stories here
ESL Mentoring Program
ESL program involves a volunteer being matched with a local migrant or refugee with the aim of them meeting once per week in a public place to participate in an everyday situation such as having a coffee or shopping. The goal of this program is simply to ensure new migrants have enough conversational English to feel confident in everyday situations and job interviews and be able to follow instructions when offered a position. Participants on both sides of this program find the experience of connecting with one another rewarding. If you are interested in learning more, please contact us.
A Journey From Tibet To Australia
Download a free PDF book documenting the incredible journey of one man from Tibet to Australia that was produced by the Multicultural Service at Community Northern Beaches.